For this particular thread, please locate and post an advertisement that you think lends itself to a discussion/analysis of the ways in which women’s (and other) bodies are enlisted to promote the beauty ideal and corporate capitalism, consumption, etc. Briefly tell us where you found the ad and who you think is its target audience.
Select ONE of the readings below that you want us to use as a framework:
- Shaw Lee, Chapter 4, “Inscribing Gender on the Body”
- Nomy Lamm, “Fat Revolution”
Think about the following questions as you locate (and maybe analyze?) your ad:
- Is this ad empowering? Or maybe not so much upon closer inspection?
- What is its underlying purpose? Product? Audience?
- What might this ad tell us about the relationship between corporate capitalism and women’s bodies?
- How might Shaw and Lee,and Nomy Lamm respond to this ad?
You are welcome to pose a specific question OR simply ask your peers how the article and its key terms lend insight (or challenge?) to the advertisement. Responders, I expect you to engage extensively with the text and the key terms to inform your analysis/opinion. You must use two (2) key terms or specific concepts from the required text to frame your analysis.
People who post first have dibs on what article they want to discuss. All articles need to be used at some point, so if you post later in the week, you’ll have to use the article/documentary that’s “left.” (We’ll have a couple of repeats, but that’s okay…)
Please note that posting an ad DOES NOT count as a post for this week. Everyone will have to engage extensively with at least two (2) different images/discussions on this thread.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you find!