1. Homologues structures are structures in different organisms that are similar because:
|They share the same environments.|
|They evolved from the same ancestors.|
|They are not similar at all, only superficially appear so.|
|None of the given asnwers are correct.|
1. Barriers to reproduction between closely related species before the sperm and egg have fused are referred to as:
1. Beaver tend to create conditions that increase biodiversity at the landscape level.
1. During succession of old field to forests in new England what would best describe the sequence of tree types?
|Shade tolerant, shade intolerant|
|Shade intolerant, shade tolerant|
|Shade intolerant, drought resistant|
|Drought resistant, shade intolerant|
1. Extinction of species is a normal biological process. Why are scientists so concerned about the current “sixth” mass extinction?
(a) The types of organisms being affected by it.
(b) The extinction rate exceeds historical extinction rates.
(c) It affects only species that are rare anyway.
(d) None of the above.
|The types of organisms being affected by it.|
|The extinction rate exceeds historical extinction rates.|
|It affects only species that are rare anyway.|
|None of the given answers are correct.|
1. What are the types of processes that can lead to the generation of new species in geographically isolated populations?
|b. the shifting of the course of a river.|
|c. host races in insects.|
|d. both a and b|
|e. both a and c|
1. Which agent of disturbance is the most important in New England forests?
1. A biological species must have which of the following characteristics?
|a. A population whose members can freely interbreed.|
|b. Members in population are from an open gene pool.|
|c. Members are from a closed gene pool.|
|d. a and b correct|
|d. a and c correct|
1. Endemic species are found:
(a) within a limited local area.
(b) widely distributed across the planet.
(c) only in rainforests.
(d) wherever humans have disturbed habitats.
|within a limited local area.|
|widely distributed across the planet.|
|only in rainforests.|
|where humans have disturbed habitats.|
1. What are the characteristics of an invasive speices. Provide an example.
|For the toolbar, press ALT+F10 (PC) or ALT+FN+F10 (Mac).