Week 5 – Final Assignment
· Due Monday by 11:59pm
· Points 24
· Submitting an external tool
Significant Contributions to Public Health Final Assignment Part 2
[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Prior to working on this assignment, review your work on Part 1 of the Final Assignment from Week 3, and integrate any instructor feedback you received. Review the grading rubric for this assignment to fully understand the grading criteria. Additionally, these resources from Week 3 remain helpful:
· Assigned chapters in the textbook
This is a continuation of your Final Assignment. In Week 3, you worked on Significant Contributions to Public Health Final Assignment Part 1. For this part of the assignment, you will add 18 to 20 PowerPoint slides with detailed speaker’s notes of at least 100 words for each slide to your Week 3 assignment for a total of 30 to 35 slides, not including the title and reference slides. Please see the HCA415 PowerPoint Instructions Download HCA415 PowerPoint Instructionsdocument for expanded information on expected detail in your presentation. Do NOT record the speaker’s notes as the file size will be too large to submit. These should be written and placed in the Notes section below each slide.
This week, Part 2 involves an analysis of how your individual’s contribution from the past continues to contribute to today’s public health system, and how it might guide future work within the industry. As you recall, in Week 3, you researched an individual and their contribution to community and public health.
Your Week 3 assignment should have included each of the following elements:
· Describe your selected person’s experience.
· Analyze the climate of the time period in terms of political, socioeconomic, environmental, and technological context in which this person worked.
· Examine the personal beliefs of your person that prompted this work.
· Examine how this individual overcame any adversities to succeed.
· Describe the final outcome of this individual’s contribution to community or public health.
· Explain what this person’s contribution did for overall community or public health at the time.
· Explain why this contribution was so important at that particular point in history.
After integrating the instructor feedback from Week 3, continue adding slides to the previous work to address the Part 2 directions below. As a note, your reference slide(s) belong at the end of the presentation. As you create the content, it is expected that you will formulate a well thought out analysis for each segment with logical transitions as you would a professional presentation. Research and critical thinking are large components of this project. You will curate resources to support your statements using proper APA Style (Links to an external site.) .
This week you will be adding the second half to your project by completing the following steps:
· Integrate Significant Contributions to Public Health Final Assignment Part 1 from Week 3, including any revisions based on feedback you received.
· Examine the individual’s contribution to community or public health.
· Analyze the impact of your individual’s contribution on today’s public health system.
· TIP: You are asking, “What happened as a result of this contribution at the national and community level?” For example, some elements you could address include:
· Did it change attitudes?
· Did it change protocols and policies?
· Did behavior change result?
· Did it add or eliminate laws?
· Analyze how this contribution is still relevant today.
· TIP: Was this contribution only applicable at the time it occurred, or is it still applied today? Why or why not? Explain your response.
· Examine how this contribution could support or be expanded for future community and public health benefits.
· TIP: Using solid critical thinking, look at the historical value of the contribution and examine how it could be used for the future (is it applicable to another health issue, can it lead to more policy change, could it promote advocacy work or public health laws, etc.).
The Significant Contributions to Public Health Final Assignment Part 2 presentation
· Must include the slides from your Week 3 submission and an additional 18 to 20 slides (not including title and reference slides) with at least 100 words in the speaker’s notes for each slide and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.) resource.
· Must include a separate title slide with the following:
· Title of presentation in bold font
· A space should be placed between title and the rest of the information on the title page.
· Students name
· Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Due date
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear statement that indicates the purpose of your presentation.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) refer to the Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least eight scholarly, peer-reviewed, and credible sources (one of those may be the course text).
· The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, or Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the UAGC Library and the research process, and provides some Library search tips.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
· Must include a separate references slide that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the UAGC Writing Center for specifications.
Research Sources for Your Final Project
All of the individuals and their contributions are searchable through UAGC’s library through the Library OneSearch platform (this is the search box on the library’s homepage). This platform searches across most of the databases that the library subscribes to. Watch the How to Use Library OneSearch (Links to an external site.) video.
The “Credo Reference” database in the UAGC Library is a great place to conduct background research for the Final Assignment Parts 1 and 2. You can access Credo Reference by clicking on the “Encylopedias & Dictionaries” button on the library homepage.
More specific database information is below. These are the specific databases that will be helpful for this assignment.
Ebook Central: the library’s largest e-book database. E-books will have academic information that will be helpful in providing biographical and background information. This includes background information on the people listed as well as the health topics and time periods.
EBSCOhost and ProQuest: These are two of the library’s largest databases that will be useful resources after conducting initial, background research.
JSTOR: an archival database with scholarly articles. The articles will not be very recent; some may range from quite old to just a couple years old. This database will be helpful when analyzing the historical and social perspectives of each topic.