MEDIA REACTION FIND A NEWS SEGMENT OR ARTICLE THAT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH HUMAN TRAFFICKING AND WRITE A REACTION PAPER ABOUT IT. IT CAN BE ABOUT ANY FORM OF TRAFFICKING WE HAVE DISCUSSED IN CLASS (I.E., LABOR, SEX OR ORGAN TRAFFICKING, DOMESTIC SERVITUDE, CHILD SOLDIERS, DEBT BONDAGE, CHILD BRIDES). IF YOU HAVE A TOPIC OR MEDIA SOURCE YOU ARE UNSURE IF IT FALLS INTO THIS CRITERIA ASK ME FIRST. IF YOU USE A NEWS STORY IT MUST HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED IN THE PAST YEAR. THE NEWS STORY CAN BE PRINT, ELECTRONIC OR VIDEO NEWS BUT MUST BE FROM A LEGITIMATE NEWS SOURCE!
You must address the following issues in your reaction:
- Briefly summarize the news story (approx. 1 paragraph, no more than 1 page).
- Discuss how the story relates to a topic (or topics) discussed in class.
- Incorporate references to relevant articles where appropriate. In other words, discuss how the stories reflect themes in the readings (and cite the readings in APA style).
- How does the story support what we have discussed in class?
- How does the story differ from what we have discussed in class?
- How are victims “reflected” in the story (e.g., as manipulative, helpless, or as derogatory “hoes” or prostitutes, etc)?
- How does the story wrongly (or correctly) portray what you have learned about trafficking victims or perpetrators?
- Any other reflections you want to include.