Literature Review Outline To develop a focused, thorough literature review, it is important to develop an outline to guide your work and organization throughout the process. The outline is an evolving document. As you progress through the course, you will likely adapt and revise the outline.
The outline should be structured in a sentence outline format, with the identification of major points/themes and support for these points. Additional guidance and examples can be found in the APUS Writing Center .
The outline should be completed by Sunday 11:59 PM EST. A title page, reference page, and general APA formatting are required. Current (within the last ten years) scholarly resources are used.
Please address each section of the outline in 1-2 sentences:
a. State the problem or general research question
b. Establish context leading to a clear statement of the specific research question (explain why the topic is important)
1. Provide background and contextual material justifying why this topic should be studied
1. Define key terms and theories
2. Examine the history or relevance to field
3. Discuss how and what it contributes to the field
4. Explain how the topic applies to your professional interests
c. Communicate a clear, direct purpose statement.
1. Literature Review
0. Literature Sampling Approach Technique (Describe your search of the literature on your selected topic)
0. Critical Analysis of Literature
2. Main Point 1
1. Support for position (Sources from the annotated bibliography)
1. Succinct summary of main point and transition statement
2. Main Point 2
2. Support for position (Sources from the annotated bibliography)
2. Succinct summary of main point and transition statement
2. Main Point
3. Support for position (Sources from the annotated bibliography)
3. Succinct summary of main point and transition statement
0. Main Themes Meanings and Findings- Synthesize critical analysis of the literature (Reiterate common themes – what can you learn from what others have studied by looking at the whole picture?)
0. Contribution to Field- Identify new knowledge gained through integration of literature findings (What new knowledge have you or do you anticipate being able to generate based on your review? How can this information add to our understanding of the overall topic?)
0. Implications for Future Research- Present recommendations for future research
0. Conclusion- Summarize the entire literature review