HIST 177 Final Paper Outline
Much of California history has happened in Los Angeles. How does looking at Los Angeles
help us understand California and the United States more broadly? To make your
argument, describe three or four pivotal events or time periods in Los Angeles history and
relate them to broader changes in the state and country.
– 4 Pages Total, double spaced
– NO OUTSIDE RESEARCH!
1. Bless Their Little Hearts (1984) • Charles Woodbury • LA Rebellion and the UCLA film
2. Wartime economy and race dynamics in Los Angeles
– Wage structure of the high pressure economy
– Chester Himes and If He Hollers Let Him Go
– Zoot Suit Riots
3. 1.) The Oxnard Sugar Beet Strike of 1903
– Racism of mainline US Labor unions
4. Hollywood history and population growth