Federalism – Dividing Power between States and the United States
Read Chapter 3 textbook https://openstax.org/books/american-government/pages/3-introduction and review the links below:
· Explaining Federalism: https://billmoyers.com/story/federalism-explained/
· Explaining Unitary: https://vittana.org/12-unitary-system-pros-and-cons
· Explaining Unitary: https://apecsec.org/pros-and-cons-of-unitary-government/
· Explaining Confederate: https://vittana.org/11-pros-and-cons-of-articles-of-confederation
· Explaining all 3: https://guides.skylinecollege.edu/c.php?g=279117
· Academics Believe Unitary is Superior (specifically for non-large countries): http://www.bu.edu/sthacker/files/2012/01/Are-Federal-Systems-Better-than-Unitary-Systems.pdf
· Interesting Mix
· Decentralized Unitary states (Netherlands) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01402388708424654?journalCode=fwep20
Essay Question: Review the links above and analyze the pros and cons of federalism, unitary and confederal systems. Please discuss all three systems of power organization. In the end, explain to me whether you believe that we should keep our federal system or whether we should abandon it in favor of a different one.
Your essay should be between 500 and 600 words, double-spaced and in APA format, with parenthetical citations and a Reference List. A cover page is not necessary.