Representation in Congress
Research the proportion of women, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans and openly gay or lesbian members of Congress.
1. Reflect on what these patterns say about the nature of representation.
2. Why do some groups tend to be underrepresented in Congress?
3. Why do you see a trend in which more women and minorities are being represented?
4. Do you think the underrepresentation of women and minorities affect Congress’s business?
5. How might we as a people address this situation and strive towards equal representation? Make sure to cite sources used.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
· Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
· 1-inch margins
· Double spaced
· 12-point Times New Roman font
· Title page
· References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to textbook if cited)
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
· Textbook: Chapter 11, 12
· Minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to the textbook.
Title: The Struggle for Democracy, 2018 Elections and Updates Edition Revel Access Code
Authors: EDWARD S. GREENBERG, Benjamin I. Page
Publication Date: 2018-12-31
Greenberg, E. S & Page, B. I. (2018). The Struggle for Democracy, 2018 Elections and Updates Edition. (12th ed.). Pearson.