For this week we will log into the Planview Daptiv PPM tool, familiarize ourselves with navigating within the tool, and begin building out a project. We will take the fictious (or real) project that you identified during our prior discussion (where you developed a first draft WBS). Continue to build upon that project for this assignment and subsequent project assignments. Be sure that your project is thorough and includes project team members (expand the project further if you need so that way you gain all the benefit of understanding these concepts).
1. Create a workspace (project) for your project.
0. Watch the video in the Week folder on how to create a workspace/project.
1. Steps for creating a new workspace:
i. From the projects top menu, choose create workspace.
ii. Name the project as applicable based on your project choice (Example: New Billing Software
iii. Populate a project scope statement within the description field (at least two sentences)
iv. Put the planned start to today’s date and populate the planned finish based on how long you
estimated your project might take.
v. Populate your estimated budget.
vi. Set the phase to Initiation
vii. Click Finish. Your project will now be created and visible.
2. Add team members to your project
0. Click Members on the left
1. Click the button that says ‘+ Users’
2. Click the option to Browse the member directory
3. Up top, drop down the list that says ‘Departments’ and choose ‘Team Members’
i. DO NOT CHOOSE OTHER STUDENTS.
1. Choose 2-3 different members from the list
2. Click ‘save and close’
3. Change the default role from ‘guest’ to ‘member’
4. Then choose ‘finish and save’
5. Add your project tasks into the tool
1. Enter the 5+ deliverables that you first identified from your prior discussion.
2. Add in at least 2-3 work packages per deliverable
3. Watch the video within the Weeks folder on how to add tasks.
4. Steps for adding tasks and work packages:
i. From within your project, go to the tasks option on the left
ii. On the task screen click ‘+ Add’
iii. The Add Task screen will open
iv. Title your task.
v. Disregard the planned start and finish
vii. viii. ix. x. xi.
xii. xiii. 6. Add durations
If this is a deliverable choose that field as applicable in the bottom right (note I forgot to mention this in the video – if you don’t select it you won’t be penalized). Click Save Continue following that process to add in your 5+ deliverables
To add in work packages, click the ‘+Add’ Enter the title of the work package and click save. Next, drag the work package by clicking and holding down on the # column, so it falls under neat the correct deliverable. Next, click the indent button on the top to indent the work package under the task Continue the process to add in at least 2-3 work packages per deliverable.
for how long each work package will take (ignore the start/finish dates for now) and assign all work packages to team members (note you do not need to assign deliverables to team members)
1. Watch the video within the Weeks folder on how to add in durations.
2. Steps for adding duration and team members:
i. Click on the work package that you want to update
ii. The ‘edit task’ screen should display
iii. Change the duration field to the proper duration of the task. Note if your task is less than a day, leave duration as 1, but populate in hours the time the task will take in the planned work field. Daptiv will use planned work if populated; if not it uses Duration to determine overall project length and resource needs.
iv. Next click under Assignees and choose ‘Add Assignee’ – this assigns the task to a team member to complete.
v. Complete the steps for the remainder of your work packages.
7. Add in Predecessors to the project; this will help show the sequence of how work packages relate to each other
(for example, task B comes after and cannot be started until I finish task A; thus, task A is task B’s predecessor). a. Set beginning date of the first non-summary task to current date b. Add in predecessors to non-summary tasks (work packages) to begin sequencing your tasks
i. Steps for adding in predecessors: 1. Go to your tasks in your project. 2. Click the task (work package) you want to edit. 3. Populate the Predecessor (the task number) that precedes that task (e.g. if you want to
update Work Package 2 (Task #3) to come after Work Package 1 (Task #2) then put ‘2’ in
the predecessor field for the Work Package 2 task). 4. Continue to update all work packages (except the first)
c. Set at least two tasks to be in parallel i. Note this is done by having at least two tasks with the same predecessor
8. Run a project report and submit to your instructor for grading a. Watch the video within the Weeks folder on how to run a project report. b. Steps for running the project status report and exporting as PDF
i. Go to the top ‘Home’ menu (previously called ‘Dashboard’)
ii. Under ‘Project Status Report’ click your report in the drop-down for ‘Which Project requires a
iii. Click ‘Run Report’
iv. In the top right where it says ‘View In’, click and choose ‘PDF’
v. This will open the report into a PDF viewer
vi. From the PDF viewer, choose download (this commonly is in top right and represented with an
arrow pointed downward).
vii. Save to your computer, naming it accordingly.
viii. Upload to the assignment for grading.